Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Eye-Opener - Unit 3


            This week was a real eye-opener for me as I was met with my lack of linguistic competency. I remember growing up and learning how to write. My teacher would ask us to include an awesome adjective, vivid verbs, and other specific vocabularies. We briefly went over articles, nouns, and prepositions and I remember hearing the dreaded words “adverbial clause” but for the most part, I did not worry about it. The writing was writing, speaking was speaking and reading was reading, what was the point of learning all this grammar vocabulary? How I wish I would have been more attuned to these words and their meaning. When reading J. Harmer’s chapter 5 from his book “How to teach English” and D. Brown and H. Lee’s chapter 19 from their book “Teaching by principles: An interactive approach to language pedagogy,” I was overwhelmed.

            Despite being a native English speaker, loving English class, adoring writing and always wishing for more time to read, my linguistic competency is rather lacking. Although most terms were familiar, my ability to define and identify them was left wanting. Participating in the worksheet “Common Areas of Difficulty,” sealed my opinion that I should have paid more attention back in middle school.

            As a side note, I find it intriguing to me that past middle school there was hardly any mention of such detailed grammatical terms. Unit 3 of this course has been the first time I have had to think about these things since middle school. For most native English speakers there is hardly a thought that goes into them using their native language, yet how many of them truly understand the expanse of their language? How many could truly explain why they write how they write? I spoke to one native English speaker, Stephanie. She had endeavored to teach English with no training, the summary of her attempts was concluded with “it wasn’t pretty” (personal communication, September 25, 2018). Few of us can actually comprehend English in such a way as to teach it to someone whose L1 is not English.  

            Something I want to take away from this unit is to ask questions, seek to grow and do not be discouraged when you do not get it right away. Life is full of learning and honestly is full of common areas of difficulty. People struggle through life constantly but that does not mean people should give up. Going through this unit has encouraged and inspired me to continue to learn and grow in areas where I see that I struggle.

            The Action Plan assignment at the end of this unit was a helpful tool to wrap up all my thoughts. It helped me to reflect on what I had found challenging and forced me to think of practical steps to overcome those challenges in the future. I believe it is important for teachers to always continue to learn. Teachers should be constantly seeking to grow in their knowledge and their resources. Being overwhelmed by what they do not know, should only catapult them into desiring to learn more. As teachers take on this attitude it will transmit to their students and it will feed the craving to acquire knowledge and master it.  

Bibliography
Brown, H. D., & Lee, H. (2015). Teaching by principles: An interactive approach to language pedagogy (Fourth ed.). White Plains, NY: Pearson Education. 


Harmer, J. (2016). The practice of English language teaching. Harlow: Pearson Education.

For more resources look these up:

Basics of English Grammar. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.talkenglish.com/grammar/grammar.aspx

Beare, K. (2018, June 26). Preparing to Teach Grammar in an ESL Class. Retrieved from https://www.thoughtco.com/teaching-grammar-in-esl-efl-setting-1209075

Pesce, C. (2016, September 27). 5 New Fun Ways to Teach Grammar to ESL Students. Retrieved from https://busyteacher.org/2873-5-new-fun-ways-to-teach-grammar-to-esl-students.html

Team, R. (2014, May 14). The Fastest and Most Effective Way to Learn English Grammar. Retrieved from https://reallifeglobal.com/learn-english-grammar-fast-effective/

No comments:

Post a Comment