Friday, September 14, 2018

ErRor


I will never forget the days when my dear mother would edit my essays. Each session usually began with inspiration but as the minutes began to wear on, my inspiration turned to boredom, to offense and finally to anger. We worked through a lot of emotions until both my mother and myself were satisfied with the outcome of the essay. Over the years, I have realized the benefit of correction. I may not enjoy the feeling of being corrected but it leads me towards perfection and that is something I strive for. 

The concept of error correction really stood out to me in Unit 1. In learning and teaching English, error correction is a part of every step in the journey. Without error correction, students would never be taught what is right and their use of English would be severely hindered. Students desire correction. Despite this desire, giving and receiving correction can be sensitive and must be utilized very prudently yet, courageously.

Two important terms that we must be aware of when considering error correction are accuracy and fluency. One of these is often an aim in a session with students learning to speak English. Is the aim to have accurate and precise diction or fluent and smooth conversation? This question directs a teacher into how they should be engaging in error correction. For example, if a student is attempting to learn confident, easy conversation, being interrupted every other word to be corrected will hinder the goal of the lesson. However, if the teacher is trying to teach accuracy, to have a student make multiple errors and only address the biggest one at the end of the conversation is not meeting the goal of the lesson, more interruption is necessary. Once the goal of the lesson is determined, a teacher can move into how correction should be provided.

There are many different techniques of error correcting besides just saying “no.” In Jeremy Harmer’s book, “The Practice of English Language Teaching,” gives a diverse range of techniques to be applied when giving correction. Some of these include asking the student to repeat what they had just said or having the teacher echo the mistake of the student, emphasizing their blunder. Others comprise of giving the student an expression, indicating a mistake, giving a hint, asking the student to try again, repeating the error and then offering the corrected word or phrase. There are a plethora of techniques for correction to choose from.
The BBC published an article a number of years ago by a teacher who discussed error correction in teaching English. In the article, it was suggested to have a peer correct the student. It also suggested that a teacher may like to ask their student how they prefer to be corrected. I remember having a supervisor once come to observe my work and offer advice. Before she even began observing, she asked me how I would like to be given feedback, in the midst of my work or  
at the end of a period of time. I remember not having a preference at that point, however, the offer made by my supervisor put me at ease immediately and I felt comfortable to do my work well. When communication is open between teacher and student, a trusted rhythm can be created.

The points that really stuck out to me in Unit 1 were the importance of determining the goal of a session, whether accuracy or fluency and the importance of being aware of the techniques used for error correction. There are multiple ways to give corrective feedback so to understand your student and how they best receive correction is essential.
#TESL-0120-E01


Bibliography

Budden, J. (2008). Error Correction. Retrieved September 14, 2018, from https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/error-correction.

Harmer, J. (2016). The practice of English language teaching. Harlow: Pearson Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment